Candles are used as part of the décor, creating a cozy atmosphere. To make a candle at home, you need to know some rules, such as the right way of making wick is important because it determines the evenness of burning candles.
It is also necessary to know the thickness of the candle depends on the number of threads that are used in its preparation. For example, to make a candle thickness of 2-7 cm (0.8-2.8 in) is necessary to prepare 15 threads, 10 cm (4 in) –24 threads, If diameter exceeds 10 cm (4 in) – 30 threads.
Some useful information about cooking candles
Use steamer to melt the wax. It can be replaced by a furnace.
There are many kinds of wax, but almost all are melted at a temperature of 90 °C (194 °F).
It is better to use a thermometer with a steel rod and the scale above. It can be purchased in lab equipment stores. Thermometer with a steel rod can be used for mixing the wax.
Keep careful if you decide to melt the wax on an open fire, as in this case, the wax can catch fire.
To extinguish use baking soda, but not water. It should also be borne in mind that the superheated wax recovered acrolein — toxic byproduct. Do not forget to take care of good ventilation in the room.
How to make a candle with his own hands
- An old pot for Melting wax;
- Old bowl;
- Heat-resistant form for the future candles;
- Several wicks, which can have paper or wire core;
- Special holder to pull the wick in melted paraffin.
To make 3 candles prepare:
- 40 g (1.4 oz.) of stearic powder;
- 400 g (14 oz.) of granulated paraffin;
- A dye to impart color to the wax;
- Flavor (you can replace it with essential oil).
1. Prepare a basis for candles:
- In a pot of boiling water, put a bowl and sprinkle it stearic powder;
- Wait until the stearic powder is melted and add in the same bowl 1/4 tablet dye for wax;
- Put paraffin in a bowl of water and heat to 80 °C (176 °F);
- Thoroughly stir all the time;
- After melting the whole mass, place a few drops of an essential oil or flavoring.
2. Prepare a wick
- Dip the wick for 5 minutes in molten paraffin;
- Let it dry on the foil.
3. Getting directly to the manufacture of candles
- Cut the wick — its length should be slightly larger than the height of the form;
- One end of the wick pass through a special holder and clamp it with pliers, and other need to wind around the stick (a pencil, for example) and secure;
- Lower the holder together with a wick at the bottom of the form and begin to pour paraffin;
- After you’ve poured the wax to the edges, you need to put a stick on the edges of shapes in a position such that the wick was in the center;
- Wait until the mixture hardens;
- Cut the wick.
4. Something special
If you want to make your candle unique, you can use a favorite flower, souvenir, fir twig or cone. Also you can portray something on the form.
USEFUL TIP: For coloring candles, use powdered paint (the best option), oil-based aniline dyes or natural substances.
How to make gel candles at home
In the manufacture of candles need to be careful and follow all safety rules, especially if you want to put some decoration inside candle. Also carefully select the type of aromatic oils and dye.
Now you need to decide what kind of candle you want to make. Gel candles are divided into several groups:
- Aquariums, Terrariums and candles treasure;
- Beer and cappuccino with foam;
- Coca-Cola and other cocktails;
- Rainbow, vortices, fireworks and neon glow;
- Canned fruits;
- Ice cream and desserts;
- Festive decoration.
After that you have decided on the theme, choose a suitable glass jar for candles. Alternatively you can take a square vase, glass jar of jam or mug.
- Better use of forms which have a diameter greater than 5 cm (2 in). This will prevent the flame to be too close to the edges of the vessel);
- Look for a transparent or colored shapes (candle will look nice);
- Glass of your form must be durable.
So, we need need:
An example of a gel candle
As an example, consider the making of a candle-tank with marine design.
- Gel for candles (several colors);
- Some purely decorative items that will be inside the candles. Since the theme of the sea, it is possible to use, for example, shells or toys on the marine theme.
1. Gel candles put on a water bath;
2. Use low heat to warm gel to 100 °C (212 °F);
3. Strengthen the wick on the bottom of the form with an adhesive so that the wick was in the middle that will provide the best burning candles; also need to fix the wick on top (you can use regular thread);
4. Time to use decorative items. You can put them on the bottom of the form — of course they should not be flammable; can put a few items at the initial stage, while others later;
5. The decoration inside the candles should not be placed close to the wick.
6. Before you start to fill in the gel, it is advisable to warm up the form, and you can do it with a hair dryer — so you can get rid of the bubbles;
7. Keep track of the temperature of the gel, and when it cool to 80-90 °C (176-194 °F) , you can start to slowly pour the candle;
- The best option would be to fill the layers: first pour a little gel and after some time, when the gel on the bottom of the form a little hardened, can pour a new layer, and so on until the moment when the form is filled;
- Wait a long time is not necessary if you do not want to have visible layer boundaries;
- If you are using multiple colors, you can do so that they will gradually flow into the form, you will need to wait a little while and the lower layer has hardened a little, otherwise the paint will blend;
8. You can use a candle in a day.
* Melt the wax only on a steam bath;
* Overheat the wax is a health hazard and its vapors can ignite if the temperature is reached at 180 °C (356 °F);
* To extinguish burning wax NOT use water – use a cloth.
* Use a clean and dry form;
* Souvenirs that you use must be clean and non-flammable (you can wash them with warm mineral oil).